Saturday 25 July 2009

Ad Lib (Hope Street)

What: Bar/Restaurant
For: Meal (Dinner)
With: Boyfriend
Site: Here

Last week Nick and I visited Ad Lib for dinner. I'd actually only booked it at the last minute - I'd realised on Friday night that we'd need a table somewhere on Saturday evening. This was simply the first place I found that had tables free at the time I wanted.

My first impression was a little confused. As you enter there is a bar area, clearly separated from the restaurant area itself. At first glance I saw only the bar, but we walked through and found where we were meant to be.

It was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday night, and was immediately obvious that I needn't have booked. However, I am pleased that I did, maybe this Saturday was quiet, but there's no reason to believe that others would be.

Service was quick too, perhaps because there was more staff than necessary for a quiet night. However there was nothing to suggest that they wouldn't be just as attentive when the place was packed. The only time we had trouble getting attention was when we wanted to pay, so I'll not complain.

It happened that there was an offer running where you could get two courses for a set price (excluding rather expensive steaks from the grill, for which you would pay extra). We decided to share a starter, get a main each, and share a dessert.

To start we got the nachos. Standard fare, pretty good portion to say it would normally have been for one. For some reason though, they did seem especially good. Maybe they've just got your basic chili-nachos dish down to perfection, or maybe it's simply that I'd been craving them for a few days, but I reckon they were the second best I've had in the city. One day I'll tell you where to get the best.

For main I chose the catfish and Nick chose the chicken in BBQ sauce. Both were excellent. I don't believe I've tried catfish before, but I would happily recommend it. The bread-crumb coating was rather special too, somewhat sweet, I was tempted to ask what they'd put in it, but couldn't face the possible shame that I'd encounter if they said "sugar." Nick, usually silent in opinions on food unless asked was clearly quite delighted with the chicken. Both were served with salad, Nick's with crushed new potatoes, mine with hundreds upon thousands of fries. You will not go hungry here.

Desert was sticky toffee pudding, apparently flavoured with whisky. I was pleased to see it was raisin-free. Not that I have anything again raisins, just that I prefer my sticky toffee pudding without it. It was good, the standard perhaps not reaching that of the rest of the meal, but certainly above average.

I was glad we'd decided to share starters and deserts, or else the portions would have been too much for me. It would have been a great shame if I had not been able to finish anything. I suspect Nick will ask me to book it again, if only so we can try their "gourmet burgers."

So, in summary, really rather excellent bar style food. Large portions, high quality, satisfying. I will definitely be back, possibly even just for a few drinks, since the bar area seemed to have a good atmosphere. It was a little busier than the restaurant, not so far that you'd be unable to find a table. Nick tends not to drink with food, and generally if I'm out with him I'll abstain too, but on this occasion I noted a Concha y Toro wine I'd had before, and loved, on the list, so I ordered a glass. It was not the only one on the list I'd try, and all were fairly priced. I also saw cocktail menus on the tables in the bar as we left, and as always, I was curious to find out what was on them. Some other time.

You'll get a reasonably priced, large, delicious meal in a pleasant environment. Well worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment