Saturday 29 August 2009

Cafe Andaluz (West End)

What: Restaurant
For: Lunch
With: Colleagues
Site: Here

It would seem that Glaswegians love tapas. As well as normal Spanish tapas restaurants (some would say that if it isn't Spanish, it isn't tapas, and I have to admit that I'm one of them) you can also find Italian "tapas," Indian "tapas" and Chinese "tapas." To name but a few. The restaurants seem to be cropping up everywhere.

Not that I object, of course, I like snacking on a selection of tasty tidbits as much as anyone else. Just emphasising that there's plenty of choice.

If the choice is mine, I'll select Cafe Andaluz. Especially if someone's carrying a Snapfax, because 20% off food goes a long way with a decent sized group of people, and you should always get tapas with as many people as you can.

On this occasion we went for lunch to the branch on Cresswell Lane. We each ordered three tapas, and to my horror, didn't share them. This is a practice that makes me squirm, this kind of food is for sharing, that is clear. Unfortunately, some people can't quite manage that, and being the nice, polite kind of person (and being fully aware that I was getting lunch with some people who until recently had been my bosses) I said nothing.

Unfortunately, that means I can't tell you if their dishes were good or not. However, mine were. I ordered calamares, champinones and chorizo frito al vino. All were delicious, including the calamares, which people often overcook. A slight relief came in that everyone was happy to share the bread and olives that arrived, and which went with the tapas as well as you would expect.

This branch is downstairs, but is lit well enough that while you're dining you aren't aware of being underground. On this occasion it was quiet, but the staff managed to be attentive without being annoying, in spite of their boredom with nothing to do.

I can also tell you, from previous visits, that their paellas are delicious, and excellent value. They suggest that they feed two, but they are wrong, they feed three. Three very hungry people. I wouldn't usually order paella at a tapas restaurant, because I usually feel like I'm there to try a range of things - which I am - but it is a shame, because they really are quite excellent. Unfortunately, the mini paellas you often find among the tapas options are never quite up to scratch, so you shouldn't use them as the basis for what the full sized ones will taste like.

I'm going to try to come back here some more. Ideally with people who don't have phobias about sharing food, so that we can do it properly. The only thing that restricts me is that La Tasca insist upon sending me 50% off food offers with great regularity. Now La Tasca do serve perfectly good tapas, I really enjoy them, and I always have fun there. However, Cafe Andaluz are that little bit better. It's reflected in the price, but I think it's well worth it.

Of the three "tapas" places I've been to in Glasgow, Cafe Andaluz remains a firm favourite. Because it's better quality, because it has a better selection, and because it's more authentic. I'll be heading back as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment