Friday 21 August 2009

Republic Bier Halle (Great Western Road)

What: Bar
For: Lunch
With: Friend
Site: Here

It's not the first time I've visited this place, and I severely doubt it'll be the last. The problem is, they have 2-for-1 pizzas, lunch deals on soups and sandwiches, and an impressive list of beers - most of which I can't pronounce.

I guiltily tottered along for lunch with a friend a few weeks ago, as a nice break from some work. The range of pizzas is original enough for me to want to try them all, but unfortunately I'm predictable enough to stick to a select few from the choice of around ten. Usually my choice involves chicken, chorizo or goat's cheese. However, having tried slices of other peoples, I can tell you with confidence that if they sell any bad pizzas, they've never sold one to me, nor to anyone I know.

The sandwiches are somewhat less inspired. That isn't to say they aren't good, just that they're nothing special. With the vast selection of eateries in Glasgow, and the extreme concentration in the West End alone, if you went to Bier Halle for a sandwich, you would have wasted a lot of opportunities.

That's not to say don't go, only, get a pizza instead if you're hungry. Or perhaps one of the "bar snacks." For once, I must admit I haven't tried a single one, not even the nachos that they will inevitably offer, but I wouldn't be afraid to do so.

Of course, the real star of the show is the beer menu. Boasting over 60 beers from around the world (and I'm told the town centre branches offer even more) it's almost guaranteed that there will be something you've never tried or even heard of. Especially if, like me, you're not really a beer-drinker.

However, should this be the case, I urge you not to be sheepish, and to try something new anyway. Unless you really do hate beer, there's probably a bottle of something that will be to your tastes. They may be somewhat pricey, but here you're paying for the novelty, as well as the privilege of drinking something that isn't Carling.

So far I've tried;
- Quilmes: Argentian, not bad, light and easy for someone who hasn't tried many beers before.
- Framboise Bier: Belgian, and raspberry flavoured, refreshing, but possibly the Belgian answer to the alcopop.
- Crocodile: Swedish, not Australian, and I have no idea how it tasted, I was too amused by the crocodile logo on the bottle to remember anything else.

So my suggestion is that you go. Comfort yourself about the high beer prices by reminding yourself that the pizzas are two-for-one, and relax for and hour or so. It'll be well worth your time.

P.S. My spell-checker thinks that "alcopop" is wrong, and that I probably meant "ogliopoly." Maybe it needs a hyphon or something, but I don't care, I'm too busy laughing at the word "ogliopoly."

No comments:

Post a Comment