Wednesday 26 August 2009

Las Iguanas (Leeds)

What: Restaurant
For: Lunch
With: Nick
Site: Here

I've been going to Las Iguanas for years now, and it's still ice cool. I'm a big fan of Mexican food, and whilst this is technically a Latin restaurant, it more than caters for my tastes.

The restaurant has a somewhat unusual layout, with a main area, and two slightly raised areas for eating at, and a screened off bar. I must admit that it would seem odd to go to Las Iguanas for the bar alone, but it seems popular enough.

On this occasion I ordered champinones for my starter and enchilada for my main. They make slight changes to the menu on a regular basis, but I've never ordered anything that wasn't delicious, and I've tried a good range of what they have to offer.

The food did not disappoint on this occasion. If I was to recommend something to someone visiting for the first time, I'd suggest the crayfish cocktail, the Buenos Aires burger (Argentinian beef is better than Scottish, even Aberdeen Angus pales in comparison) and an Ipanema Mess (which is like an Eton Mess, but with guava).

I'd also suggest that you try their coolers, specifically the passion fruit one. The elderflower one isn't available anymore, but if they ever bring it back, it's the only thing I'd suggest that you avoid in this place.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't get a real drink, if you're inclined to do so you certainly should! Caipirinhas are the Brazilian answer to Mojitos, and quite delightful. They're made with cachaca instead of rum, and are well worth trying, especially considering that they don't appear on menus all that often.

Honestly, I'm sad that there isn't much more for me to say. But it's hard to write much when there isn't much to criticise. Food is excellent and arrives promptly, staff are friendly and helpful (just ask if you're not sure about anything on the menu), atmosphere is good, drinks are interesting.

The only con is that because it has become such a firm favourite, I tend to fall back on it so regularly that I occasionally feel guilty for neglecting to try new places. If you're in Leeds, and you get the opportunity go and check it out. The lunch menu and the tapas are inexpensive, and the mains menu is quite reasonable too. Also, if you sign up to their email list they will regularly send you offers (e.g. £5 off, or 20% off total bill, etc).

It's hidden away behind the Corn Exchange, but it's not hard to find. Go look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment